Monday, August 31, 2009

Thinking About Jeremy



I'm thinking about Jeremy today and by tomorrow he'll likely crowd out all other thoughts. He's the reason why The Jeremy Project exists, the reason I wrote Nana's Socks, and the reason why so many families have something to cherish after the illness or death of their child.


What a lot this boy has managed to orchestrate even though he's no longer with us. But, if you had had the chance to know him, this would come as no surprise.


So who was this kid?


He was a wild handful and more complex than perhaps anyone ever realized, except for his mom. He loved music, his friends, and his freedom. He was smart, creative, imaginative and bursting with energy. He was fierce and passionate in his ideas and in how he wanted to live his life. He was fun...so much fun. And as you can see, he was a stunner.


What is my favorite Jeremy story? There's many but one that immediately comes to mind unfolded as he spent the afternoon with us one day. I had sent he and Kenny outside to play and when I next looked they had tied the rabbit cage - with the rabbit in it - to a skateboard and had then tied the skateboard, rabbit and all, to Kenny's bike. Jeremy was riding the bike with Kenny sitting on the handle bars.


"What are you two doing?!"


Jeremy paused for a moment and looked at me like I was the dumbest aunt on the planet before speaking as if rabbits tied to skateboards were an everyday occurrence, "We're taking Thumper for a ride."


"You're what!?"


"He was bored Aunt Laurie!"


I knew it was only moments before he picked up speed on that bike. "Jeremy! Untie that rabbit from that skateboard! Kenny! Get off those handle bars! And I mean NOW!"


Isn't that hysterical? Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard.  They both looked quite disgusted that I had ruined their fun, but they quickly got over it and moved on to putting Torie Montana's Little Tike picnic table into the pool for use as a surf board.


Good Lord we miss that boy!


I would be so thankful if all of you would take a moment and visit The Jeremy Project on Facebook. You can see some of the pictures and become a fan of The Jeremy Project by pasting this link into your browser:


You can also visit www.thejeremyproject.org. It is a wonderful thing Darcie has created and it has meant so much to so many families.


I gotta go.

1 comment:

  1. I have read a lovely thought that Native Americans say no one is ever really gone so long as their name is on someone's lips. You and your sister are doing wonderful job off keeping Jeremy's name on your lips!

    ReplyDelete