Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Who's Training Who?


Have you ever seen the guy in Key West who has the cat show? He's been doing it for years I think. It's as if you're watching a rummy lion tamer but there are no lions or tigers. Only cats. He even manages to get several of them to jump through a ring of fire. There's more humor than drama to be sure but it's a great show. And he's definitely running his show. 

This is completely unlike what goes on at my house. At my house, the cats are running the show.

We have my mom's Randy, who sits at his cat door but refuses to exit through it. He insists on being let out the front door. Just so you know, these two doors are side by side. The cat door is only worthy when he's dragging in a trophy. Well usually. The white bunny he brought home was apparently too much to manage so he clawed at the front door with the bunny in his mouth til my mom opened it.

Then there's my Lucy who will only drink water running from the tub and who must have the food in her bowl jiggled before she'll eat it. Literally everyday one or the other of us humans in the house will fill her bowl but if it sits for any length of time another one of us must walk over to it, pick it up and jiggle it.

We've clearly taken the wrong path with these animals. We either have to go back to being dog people or we need some advice. I'm thinking there's a trip to Key West in my future - just to consult the guy with the cat show.

Although I could use another Hemingway Cat t-shirt. Mine's sad even for a paint shirt at this point.

Oh, get this. Lucy has now begun bringing cicadas into the house at night. At first it was erie to hear that sound inside but now I very much like it. It's certainly lovlier than the sound a bird makes as he tries to escape from Lucy and flies into the ceiling fan.

1 comment:

  1. I think I might like the sound of a bird flying into a ceiling fan.

    ReplyDelete