Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Centenarian I'll Be


Given our world and the fact more and more centenarians are walking among us, I wonder if it's time to rethink our retirement age. 

I have every intention of being a healthy and vibrant 100-year old - with beautiful skin. 100! You don't say?! I would've sworn she wasn't a day over 64. 

Rather than retirement, perhaps our early 60's is a time for some career counciling. A career shift might be in order rather than a ceasing of work all together. If I stopped at least trying to make money at 62, what on earth would I do every day for the next 35 plus years?

I was a massage therapist for 18 years but that already seems a lifetime ago. I can't imagine a life without writing, but I'm pretty sure there'll come a time when public speaking is no longer an option. If there is a choice between a strong voice, a memory that can recall one of twelve or more 15-page talks, and beautiful skin I believe you all know where I stand. 

It's not as if I wouldn't be able to find interests to fill my time. There's a number of things I'd like to pursue. For instance: 

I'd love to learn German. Surely I'll someday find a friend who does as well. It's too boring to talk only to the lady on the CD. I also fear where I might land as a senior suddenly talking to herself in a foreign tongue. At first we thought it was a language, but she's only babbling. Just pop a spoonful of applesauce in her mouth and she'll stop. 

I'd love to play the harmonica. This is particularly hopeless but if I've at last endless time for practice, you'll surely be able to tell that it's Amazing Grace and not Somewhere Over the Rainbow. 

I'd love to draw. I think this holds the most promise for a twilight years hobby. After five years of occasional practice the eyes of my ladies already look less wide eyed and fearful. 

I've also options in mind for an actual career change: 

I'd like to be a storm chaser. I know they aren't going to let me drive the truck, but I'm sure I could be helpful somehow. 

I'd like to be a Quantum Energetics Practitioner. Returning to my bodywork roots is very appealing and this style of energy work is wildly powerful and easy on the practitioner. Home visits will be out though as it's just wrong for a centenarian to be lugging things such as massage tables. Or anything heavy for that matter. 

I'd like to write a novel. I believe there's a novel in me somewhere and as chance would have it, the experience with my plays gave me an opportunity to interact with a real live villain. I'm part way there already. 

I'd like to create my own skin care line. I've done much of this work already as I've always been a student of aromatherepy and I've been making my own lotions and oils, etc. for years.

I'll keep you all posted on where this eventually leads. I mean, you all are going to be reading No Cob Webs Here forever aren't you? 

I'm heading to Melbourne, Florida in about 10 minutes for a speaking gig so I gotta dash this morning. Auf Wiedersehen!


1 comment:

  1. Create your own skin care line! Wonderful idea. Any simple recipes to pass on. I am still working on creating some kind of gift or token thank you for my customers and this may be something nice.

    ReplyDelete