Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On Gravity & Being Grossly Misunderstood


I sometimes feel I'm grossly misunderstood. I don't know why this is but I know when it began. In the third grade with Mrs. Jones.

It was a fine winter afternoon and Mrs. Jones was explaining gravity. As I was a student similar to Potter's Hermione, I was listening with rapt attention. I completely understood what she was saying. The earth is round and gravity keeps our feet firmly planted on the ground.


So this means, says my nine year old self to myself, that those of us not at the North Pole are being held perpendicular to the earth's surface and those at the South Pole are essentially standing upside down.


Thinking Mrs. Jones would see this as a brilliant observation, I began waving my hand in that "call on me or I'll burst" full body wave - the one where you're stick straight, appearing to be pushed forward by a strong wind, and your rear loses contact with the desk. (Few teachers can ignore the full body wave)


Upon rising and announcing my observation, Mrs. Jones paused and...began again explaining the law of gravity to me. She thought I didn't get the concept!


I was mortified! I again tried to explain my point. (I likely didn't yet know words such as perpendicular and essentially) and...she defined gravity for me yet a third time.


Even a nine year old senses defeat. I sat back down.


"Do you understand now, Laurie?"


"Yes, Mrs. Jones."


So that was the beginning of my being misunderstood on occasion. Sometimes, usually at the beach, I'll think, "Mrs. Jones! If you're in the United States, it's like the earth is a wall and we're just walking up and down it." If only I had one more chance to explain!


But I do get gravity. Especially lately when I look at my knees...and certain other places.


So at this point in life I now wonder what would happen if one were to choose not to understand gravity or to be philosophically opposed to it. Would things "stay put" as it were if only I believed?

Thank goodness it didn't occur to me to pose such questions to Mrs. Jones!
One of us might have needed a sick day.

No comments:

Post a Comment