Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wiped From Facebook


So here's what happened. On Facebook I had recently reconnected with ________, a woman I knew several years ago. Although there was a time when we communicated several times weekly, our paths had ceased to cross and I was looking forward to becoming reacquainted.

On Friday she posted a link to the Wall Street Journal article by John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods. This article, called The Whole Foods Approach to Obama Care, created a storm of criticism and _______ is in strong support of the Whole Foods boycott that began almost immediately after the article hit the news.


After reading it, I felt most of his points were, at the least, worthy of discussion. I didn't at all understand why this article would stir such antagonism. So, I commented with, "Tell me what I'm missing here?" I'm thinking, "It's so wonderful to interact with ______ again."


She then commented upon Mackey's selfishness, his wanting to keep what he has, the use of his wealth to begin an anti-health care campaign, etc. I'm thinking, "It's so wonderful to discuss something so important with ________."


_________ immediately posted a second comment, now writing about the "uneducated yahoos" attending town hall meetings all over the country. I confess I was jolted by such a blanket statement. I'm thinking, "But, it's so wonderful that in America two old friends can have such an exchange."


I commented back, "Uneducated yahoos? Tell me you don't really think that about people who are expressing their genuine concern, asking questions, and following our political process?" I also mentioned that, as a currently uninsured person myself, my preference is still for a number of smaller bills addressing specific health care issues rather than a massive overall of our entire system that would result in bigger government at questionable costs.


And that's when she wiped me, without further comment, from her Facebook. I guess that's a yes on the uneducated yahoo question.


I sat at my computer sort of stunned for a few minutes. She would erase me over this? Because I mentioned my own opinion? Because it didn't completely align with her own? Does this mean I'm now a "yahoo" too?


I was sad for a couple of hours but there was nothing to do but let it go. Friendship with a person who only wants to hear their own thoughts and beliefs reflected back to them would never work for me. How stifling! How stagnating! And, truthfully, I'm far too much of a mouth for such a relationship to have any legs.


I don't have such high expectations of my grocer either. I'm pretty happy if my apples aren't bruised, the bread's fresh, and there's plenty of arugula and blueberries.


Lastly, while I had a definite feel for what a "yahoo" was, I wasn't completely crystal on the exact definition. I looked it up though and I can safely assure you, I am not a yahoo.



If you'd like to read Mackey's article, visit:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052970204251404574342170072865070.html

To read a positive take on the article, visit:
http://www.poligazette.com/2009/08/17/whole-foods-ceo-has-some-suggestions-even-liberals-might-champion-if-not-for-public-plan-dogma/

To read about the Whole Foods boycott, visit:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119099537379

1 comment:

  1. I heard about that article, too, and I applaud his efforts to improve the situation without drama! It's the people on both sides, who can't discuss things with those who disagree with them, who are the "uneducated yahoos"!

    ReplyDelete