Monday, August 10, 2009

Strange Things Are Happening


It's likely a left over nudge from the reading programs of my youth, but I still must have a reading list each summer. And this summer, I'm all about Harry Potter.

I know I'm stepping into the sun late in the Potter game, but that's alright for Harry now has my complete attention and I'm loving both the books and the movies.
(last night I began The Order of the Phoenix)

But I'm also noticing strange things about my house.


I found a tiny piece of what I thought was bark on the carpet in my bedroom and tossed it into the toilet as I walked by. Later, I couldn't help but notice the tiny piece of bark had reconstituted itself - becoming once more a tiny frog.


The other morning, for the first time ever, a large owl sat perched in the tree across the street as I left to meet Dorothy for our Tuesday breakfast meeting. The owl, I'm quite sure, was watching me intently. Should I have looked for an envelope?


And then, I made a cup of my favorite beverage
(No, not butter beer. Keemun tea!) and poured it into my newest teacup. I started to take a drink and the cup's edge popped my nose. It appears I may have a nose-biting teacup in my possession.

Is the wizarding world trying to catch my attention? If so, how long has this been going on? Have I been too muggle-ish and dense all these years to see the clues? What have I missed?


Kenny, who has yet to truly embrace Potter's world, appears unimpressed with these events. We were discussing all of this yesterday, as I scanned the treetops looking for my owl, and he did mention that he's often thought I was a witch.

As I was certain we were no longer talking about the same thing, I grabbed my hairbrush
(I've got to get a proper wand!) and threatened to transfigure him into a hippogriff (or a full grown, museum mounted buffalo).

But he is clearly made of sturdier stuff than Potter's Uncle Vernon. He didn't bat an eye, but only calmly suggested that maybe a householdy spell - preferably one which included dinner - would be a better use of my time.


And then, my hairbrush disappeared - only to be found, much later, in the refrigerator.


This, however, was most likely a menopausal moment rather than a wizarding one.

I'm going to keep my eyes open though. Just in case.


FYI, the Lawry's Restaurant in Chicago is offering a Harry Potter dinner to accompany the Harry Potter Exhibition at the Science and Industry Museum. Likely a must see for even the website is spectacular - www.harrypotterexhibition.org.


And if you, too, are wondering just what butter beer tastes like, the recipe's below. I wish I could tell you Dumbledore handed it to me personally, but Potter recipes abound on the web. There's quite a few at http: britta.com/hogwarts/recipes.html.


Butter Beer


1 cup cream soda
1/4 cup butterscotch syrup (or butterscotch Schnapps)

1/2 tablespoon butter


Mix syrup with butter and microwave

for one minute. Let cool 30 seconds
and mix with cream soda. If using
Schnapps, melt only the butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment