Friday, August 21, 2009

Scared to Death

I've been working on my newest program ever since I was at Osage Beach in June and all has been moving along just swimmingly. I've done the research and have written and learned the darn thing. The gown and the accessories have turned out beautifully.

So what's the problem?

I'm scared to death.

Why?


Because
I might just topple over in my attempt to raise the bar.

I'm often asked if I'm a actress and I've struggled mightily with calling myself one. I fear that to announce myself as such is to invite questions like "Where did you study?" and "What have you been in?" - questions to which I can only answer "Hmm...nowhere" and "Well...nothing." After all, the lead in the plays of 7th and 8th grade can only take you so far! I'm most comfortable explaining that when I'm speaking I'm an animated version of myself, but still me.


But, this newest program, Octavia Ashford & Her Ghosts, throws me into acting and storytelling.


Why on earth did I think I could pull this off? Can I really transform myself into Octavia Ashford? Will I be at all believable?


Yesterday the final piece of my costume arrived - my Gibson girl wig. I was certain it would put all my fears to rest. But, it didn't. As a matter of fact, I think it made it all worse. But we'll see what my director, whom I'm soon to begin working with, has to say.


This relentless thinking that I can do whatever I set my mind to has got to stop!

3 comments:

  1. Don't you dare for one moment think you can't do anything you set your mind to. The girl i knew and remember was fearless, as i'm sure you still are. Update me on this venture. It sounds fascinating, have fun with it and drop the fear;it's not your style

    Barbra bekoenig@tmw.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soul is weaved into the fabric of your dreams. That daunting feeling walks hand in hand with true growth. This cannot be ignored , but used, else every dream be filled with doubt. You have the talent, the presence, the creativity to live the dream and we, your peps, only want you to be what you can be. But please rest assured this is your next step and if you stumble think what you will have overcome and learned and did. Not many have done anything close to what you have already put behind you as dreamed and accomplished...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy you take a long hard look at your self in a mirror. Stand there and say "I AM OCTAVIA ASHFORD! Say it over and over OUT LOUD! Quit doubting yourself. After all of this time and with your many successes you have doubts? Shame on you!
    My other favorite saying:
    Let Loose, Let Go, Let God! How can you fail?

    ReplyDelete