Friday, September 25, 2009

Upon Being Spellbound

Now...art. With no intention of actually making a purchase, I was wandering through the Festival of Arts in Laguna Beach, California.  It was 1994.

When I saw Clint Sloan's paintings I simply stopped walking. Much to the chagrin of the woman behind me who spilled her wine down my back. 

I was spellbound. Never had I been so taken with an artist's work. And truly, it was many... well ... minutes later that I noticed Clint Sloan was crazy handsome. His work spoke to me of everything I felt about Laguna Beach, a place our family had long had strong ties too.

Luckily for me he had smaller pieces other than what he was showing at the festival. He invited me to his studio where I found my beach moonscape. I still find myself becoming lost in it - even after all these years. 

With the way I led into this you probably anticipated an amorous side road, didn't you?  Nothing of the sort there. But there is another part to my Clint Sloan tale. My Torie Montana, then a kindergartner, was with me at his studio. I've always known she liked this piece - after all she's grown up with it. 

But just a couple of weeks ago she told me she remembers being at Mr. Sloan's studio with me. She said she'd like to take my beach moonscape with her when she moves out. Not an imminent event I'm hoping.

A young woman remembering her first time in an art studio with her mama? And it was her mama's first time too?

I've got to let her have it, don't I? 

I had my heart set on taking a picture of my piece for you but the glass is too reflective. However, you can see Clint Sloan's work by going to www.clintsloan.com. Be prepared for magic! He has become famous for his beach moonscapes.

To learn more about Laguna Beach's Festival of Arts and the magnificent Pageant of the Masters, paste this link into your browser: www.foapom.com 

I know I mentioned in my last post, September 23rd's GARBLE, that today I'd tell you about my latest art purchase. But, what I've discovered about this blogging business is that sometimes, once you begin writing, the words take off on their own without the least regard for my original intention. But stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment