Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Make Them Eat Cake



I knew writing a cookbook was going to be a journey and I was thrilled to begin.


The first step was easy. I went to the library - where so many of my journeys begin - and checked out How to Write a Cookbook by Frances Sheridan Goulart.



I then moved on to the layout and imagery and the all important issue of the book's cover. I decided on Teatime at the Lily Pond for the title. Some years ago a graphic artist dubbed my office The Lily Pond and as I've an afternoon teatime each day I'm home, the title was perfect.


And of course, I began gathering the teatime recipes I'd been developing over the years. Recipes that, rather than being lovingly organized all in one spot, were scattered about in various envelopes and files and tucked into other cookbooks.


And that's when I ran into my first glitch. There weren't near as many as I thought. I knew from the get go my book wasn't going to rival the length of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking at 734 pages but goodness, I had only enough recipes for an unusually lengthy booklet. Don't you just hate it when the reality isn't as grand as what you saw in your head? I considered making the book physically smaller - a 4x5 inch pocket sort of a thing, but immediately discarded that idea as a shabby effort.



There was only one thing to do. I had to create more recipes. I was spurred rather than daunted by this, especially as an idea for a Mediterranean carrot salad burst into my head on the tail of this realization. I couldn't wait to begin!


By dinnertime I was serving my fabulous Mediterranean carrot salad - and on a first try. This was going to be a breeze! Equal successes followed with first attempts at my Coconut Rice Balls, my Creamy Peanut Soup, and my Far East Shortbread. Apparently I was born to tickle the palate!


And then I moved on to breads. My Tomato Cheese Bread and my Whole Grain Herb Bread each required two tries for perfection. Not a problem. Surely Julia Childs occasionally needed a second try to insure the oohs and aahs of those she fed.


But then there was cake. My complete and utter downfall. By the fourth try of the one cake my family was begging me not to make them try it again. By the fifth try my mother gently suggested that perhaps there was no need for cake to even be included in the book. By my sixth attempt, I was furiously beating the butter and sugar while muttering, "If this %$#*^! cake doesn't turn out right I'm throwing this *&^%@$ pan out the &^*%$)@ window!"


I did finally get it right and when Teatime at the Lily Pond goes to print, you'll find this cake listed in the index as Seventh Charm Cake.


So today I'm asking all of you to keep your fingers crossed for I'm on my third attempt at another cake. I have high hopes this one will go better because I've discovered some about the chemistry of baking.  Under no circumstances will I be beaten by cake! I'll get it right if it takes ten tries!


And all of you in my household? Quit your moaning and groaning! Just eat the cake.


By the way, there is no Writing Cookbooks for Dummies. Hard to believe, eh? Will Write for Food by Dianne Jacob is another good source though.

No comments:

Post a Comment