Monday, September 7, 2009

Julie, Julia, & Laurie


Several friends have told me that I must see Julie and Julia. It's a great movie they said - and it reminded them of me. 


So on Saturday afternoon, after I had managed to remove most of the ceiling paint from my person, I went to see it. It's WONDERFUL! Although, in all fairness, you'd find me saying that about any flick starring Meryl Streep. But it's indeed a movie worthy of your dollars.


And I do think I possess a few Julie-ish qualities. While there's no related book or movie deal currently in the works, there is No Cobwebs Here and, like Julie, I sometimes wonder if I'm filling cyberspace with stupid, vapid thoughts. And, also like Julie, I tend to be mean...just the slightest bit mind you...to my husband when I'm stressed beyond endurance.


And, aside from being foodies to begin with, there's our mutual love of butter, which we both share with the indomitable Julia Childs.


Although Kenny claims he's seen me eat a stick of the stuff straight from the refrigerator, I can tell you that is a gross exaggeration. It was just a little messy looking on the one side so I licked it. I'll confess only dipping my popcorn into melted butter one piece at a time.


I don't even feel the need to mention how butter must be spread thickly and to all edges of my toast. And surely, it's a standard practice of waffle lovers near and far to make sure butter fills each and every hole. Isn't that what those holes are for?


Anyway, my friends also wanted me to see this movie because I, too, am writing a cookbook. But, I think I'll tell you about that on Wednesday. At the moment, again like Julie, I'm in the mood to whisk something into submission so I best scoot. And, I'm craving a waffle.


I'm Laurie Nienhaus. Bon Appetite.

1 comment: