Monday, December 21, 2009

Tending to Marriage

I've long held fast to the notion that every marriage needs a shrine.

Ideally, a marriage shrine should speak to your heart and to the best of your life with your spouse. It should be the first stop when the inevitable tough times roll in.

Gazing upon your shrine helps you remember the whys of your marriage - why you love each other, why you make each other laugh. And, why one of you isn't buried in the garden under the moon flowers.

My own marriage shrine consists of five photos, each capturing a moment I feel to be the essence of Kenny and I, our "us-ness" if you will. And, I have indeed found it helpful throughout the years to stand before these photos and remember the whys.

It's best not to approach your marriage shrine with a pink magic marker in hand - the temptation to draw a mustache and freckles has, on occasion, been almost more than one could bear. 

Although historically I've had to sometimes drag him to it, Kenny has mostly been on board with our shrine as a road to marital bliss.

But now he's come up with what he thinks to be a better plan. Naked sword fighting.

You just said it out loud, too, didn't you? Naked sword fighting. I did the same thing as Kenny unveiled his plan while opening the box of two wooden swords that arrived with Saturday's mail.

"How on earth could naked sword fighting ever fix anything?"

"Oh, I'm not sure it would fix anything. But it might. Maybe we should practice." Does she detect a wicked smile? "How about now?"

I walk to the kitchen and begin rummaging through my junk drawer.

Kenny follows me, swords in hand. "What are you doing?" he asks.

"I'm looking for my pink magic marker."

3 comments:

  1. Take a minute my dear to reflect on the almost erotic scene from Zorro. Remember the sword fight between Catherine Zeta Jones and the sexy masked man? I thought it well worth our time to learn the art of fencing. My husband knows this art and I am sure that is why he agreed so easily. A sweaty sword fight could almost be like foreplay, could it not, or so I thought until my lip and sword became one. Enough of that.
    The marriage shrine. What an absolutely exquisite idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reread my post from two years ago. I actually could write-I had to reread it to make sure I actually wrote it. Oh btw-I did set up some pictures on this table I have with crystals and such as our shrine-I need to add more and get the hubby-Zorro to put his sword down long enough to add his pictures or at least ideas-

    ReplyDelete