Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Post Thanksgiving Events

 
Several events unfold during this week following Thanksgiving. Aside from my family's united front that my creative use of turkey come to an end.

My Santas leave their boxes and patiently wait for the Santa tours to begin. Both they and my family are required to participate in these tours which involve much reminiscing and choosing of new favorites.

I make a double batch of rum balls. You're supposed to let them sit for two weeks for the flavor to develop but if you make only one batch there are no rum balls by day fourteen.

I take my night yoga onto the front deck. Orion, Taurus and Gemini do much to encourage my yoga practice this time of year and currently I'm in need of tremendous encouragement if I'm to master the bird of paradise pose. I may require a meteor shower. 

Holiday activities and tasks, as well as general merriment will soon ramp up here and so far I'm on point. Oh Joy to the World!

Off to test another rum ball...one must be quite sure they're just right.

Here's my rum ball recipe. It began as one from my favorite gal, Fanny Farmer, but I've changed it quite a bit over the years: 

RUM BALLS
2 cups vanilla wafers
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup cocoa
21/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup Malibu rum

Put vanilla wafers into a food processor and process until the cookies become fine crumbs. Put crumbs into a bowl, add pecans, cocoa and one cup powdered sugar. Stir well. Add light corn syrup and Malibu rum. Shape into small balls and roll in remaining powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container. They are best if allowed to sit for 10 to 14 days.

To see a 54-second video of the bird of paradise pose, click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBgfISx0yY

1 comment:

  1. Bird of Paradise is such a graceful pose. I haven’t been able to do it yet myself. Leeann Carey, an amazing teacher, has a great free yoga video on this pose. Thought your readers might want to check it out: http://www.planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/free-yoga-video-birds-of-paradise-pose/

    ReplyDelete