Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Graciousness Gone Mad

Texas AandM holds an annual contest to find the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. The 2007 term was political correctness and the following definition won:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I find this a brilliant window into the foolishness of those who hold political correctness so dear. The problems that inspired political correctness will no more be fixed by political correctness than boxed color fixes the gray in my hair. The gray is only covered, sometimes barely and only temporarily. New gray grows and the boxed color either fades or becomes brassy. Much to my chagrin I might add.

And why, you ask, do I bring this up? I've had the unusual experience of being told I was politically correct. Twice within the last two weeks!

I can't tell you how this tweaked me. Both times I felt a momentary twitch in my left eye.

Both times I indignantly, and somewhat shrilly, cried out "What!"

I quickly learned that both times people were trying to tell me they found me to be gracious and kind.

Well now. Alrighty then. That I like. Thank you. And, please, pardon my indignation and that wee bit o' shrill. 

But light has now been shed. People are equating graciousness and kindness with political correctness? Yikes! Egads! Oh, Good Gracious Miss Molly! I see this as a problem for I can't help but think political correctness is graciousness and kindness gone mad. The pendulum has not just swung to the other end, but has been flung into the ether.

Shall I always strive to be gracious and kind? I should hope so. But I also hope to always stop short of political correctness. I must, for my instinct tells me this ultimately creates nothing but nonsense. And worse, larger ill will.  That I wish to have no part of.

On that note, I wish all a very Merry Christmas. And please, Happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa me back. It won't offend me in the least. I'm a big girl.

To learn more about the history of political correctness, this small phrase created by small minds, click on this link:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3401803309.html

No comments:

Post a Comment