Friday, November 13, 2009

That 's What Happens When You Break Tradition

The newest issue of my Sweet Willa's Review, with its feature on feather trees, adds a new layer to a smallish but on-going problem.

I've got Christmas tree angst.

It's that @?;*;%^($#!>* Charlie's fault - hurricane Charlie. This disastrous August intruder created three months of unprecedented labor. While my holiday treasures had escaped his wrath, my willingness to hoist, haul and arrange etc. was at a historical low as the 2004 holidays approached. 

I decided not to put up a tree. Oh please, stop with the gasping! I know it was a monumental decision. You're reading the words of a woman who has collected ornaments ever since she herself was a child. 

Yet I found it oddly freeing. My plan was to tuck Christmas presents among my Santas. It would take far more than that @?;*;%^($#!>* Charlie to keep my Santa collection boxed. To be truthful, an ever growing portion of this collection refuses to be put back into boxes each year. 

My family, however, would have none of it. My husband, who has rarely hoisted a Christmas ornament in all the years I've known him, seemed to take it especially hard. He brought home a somewhat crumpled, 3' tall tree with a missing branch. It possessed a distinct Charlie Brown quality, but he was sure it'd take only minimal holiday effort to transform into a magical part of our Christmas.

I, of course, scoffed. But the next day's trip to JoAnn Fabrics found me in the Christmas isle - where there was a sale on pink glass balls that struck my fancy. It occurred to me that, especially as the tree was so small, I could perhaps transform it into something magical - especially at a 50% off Christmas sale.

I called it my Florida tree.

Although I'm certain some of my Santas snickered, my Florida tree served me well for a number of years. The ease of simply wrapping it in a sheet and popping it into the attic - ornaments and all - did set me to humming Joy to the World as the next season rolled around.

But last year I found myself bored with it and so sent it on its merry way to Good Will on January 26th. So now I'm treeless. I've broken with tradition but am not yet prepared to go back.

Oh woe is me! What am I to do? That @?;*;%^($#!>* Charlie! 

Is a feather tree the answer? It could be...but I think I see three. A feather tree forest if you will. Not even my most uppity of Santas could snicker at that! 

To read the current issue of Sweet Willa, paste this link into your browser: www.glily.com/sweetwillasreview.htm 

The lovely feather tree image you see is reprinted with permission of Home Traditions - the place to purchase feather trees and their accessories. The image first appeared in Romantic Homes. You are invited to visit www.hometraditions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment