Monday, November 23, 2009

Ghostly and Gothic


What should I do next now that I'm a genuine devotee of my character, Octavia Ashford (as well as her ghosts)?

I'll likely read ever more ghost stories, especially as the ghost story season draws near. 

Ghost stories at Christmas time? Odd to us now, reading ghost stories at Christmas is as Victorian as Queen Victoria herself.

My awareness of this historical tidbit coincided with our migration to Florida and ever since - for nine years now - I do pull out my ever growing collection of ghost stories once December rolls in. I've discovered the words of Mamillius in The Winter's Tales to be true: A sad tale's best for winter. I have one of spirits and goblins. 

I'm leaping ahead this year as I'm already on page 109 of J.S. LeFanu's Uncle Silas, a book famous for "creating an atmosphere of unrelieved terror and suspense." Technically it's more Gothic than ghost, but the two are close relatives and exchanging one for the other during the season does not portend some dire calamity.  

Uncle Silas is quite good. It's diabolical. It's gripping. One deeply feels poor Maud's fear and suspicion of her fiendish governess, Madame de la Rougierre.

Yet, at the same time one wonders why poor Maud hasn't the presence of mind to more quickly put a stop to this woman who wields such an unpleasant hold upon her nerves. A young woman with bravado, such as my Torie Montana, would easily have made short work of a fiendish governess. 

But I suppose a ghost or gothic story without a frightened woman seeing lurid treachery at every turn is one without legs, isn't it?

Back to what I'm going to do next. I've a ghost story of my own beginning to form in my mind's eye. I'll take care that I don't allow it to over excite me through the holiday season. Yet, when I'm alone, I cannot help but wonder down what dark and thrilling path it will lead.

I cannot share more for I must part from you now with unnatural speed. But do not fear. A undefinable sense of danger has not smote me. A malevolent dread is not mingling with the blood coursing through my veins. Nor is panic gathering round me.

I simply must visit Netflix. The English filmed Uncle Silas as The Inheritor. I've got to order it on the chance it could be here by Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment