Friday, October 30, 2009

I'm In a Cherry Jam

Keeping in mind I'm a research hound, you surely know I had to Google "how to name a blog" before getting started back in June. Good thing I did too because I gleamed a most important tidbit of information.

You should name your blog something that shows you don't take yourself so seriously.

As I naturally lean towards irreverent and was wanting to write only slice of life prose anyway, this made perfect sense. Heeding such sage advice also gives you a little more elbow room. Your readers naturally tend to more forgiving of all flowing from your pen and keyboard.

That said, accuracy is still paramount - as it should be. And I confess to a faux pas. My good friend, Dr. Leslie D., has pointed out to me that Success Is Mine (9/11) contained a grave error.

As it turns out, Maraschino cherries contain not a trace of formaldehyde! I've heard for so long they did I took it as fact...and so neglected to fact check. If I had thought more carefully about the phrase "fact check", perhaps I wouldn't be in this cherry jam. 

Anyway, I stand corrected and am pleased to be a vehicle for the demolition of an urban myth.

But you know what this meant, don't you? I had to make that cake again! The revised recipe is below and I must say, the Maraschino cherry plays no small part.

So I thank Dr. Leslie D., but she's lucky I got the revised recipe right on the first try. She might have started getting cake in the mail. 

As long as I'm speaking of corrections, I also wasn't pleased with the second picture in When Fiends Have Fun (9/21). I've posted another in case you wish to take a look. 

And, since blogging seems to be a theme this week, I wanted all of you to know about a blog just brought up by a woman I greatly admire and whom I can count upon not only to tell me the truth about my writing but tell me how to fix it when I'm stuck, Ms. Carol Drummond. Enjoy: www.mangoesandchampagne.blogspot.com 

If you'd like to read about the misunderstood Maraschino cherry, you can visit: www.whatscookingamerica.net/History/MaraschinoCherry.htm


 Cherry Pound Cake(Revised)
12 ounces Maraschino cherries
1 cup butter
11/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
4 ounces sour cream
1 package Cherry Jello (not sugar free)
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 cup Three Olives Cherry Vodka
2 teaspoons almond extract 

Chop cherries and set aside. Cream the butter and then add the sugar. With the mixer on low, add
room temperature eggs one at a time. Add sour cream. In a separate bowl mix jello, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Alternately add the flour mixture and the vodka, beginning with the flour mixture. Using a spoon, gently add the almond extract and the chopped cherries. Do not over mix. Bake at 300 degrees in a greased and floured 10" tube pan for 75 minutes.

Glaze

4 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons
Three Olives Cherry Vodka
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
 


Melt butter in a pan and add remaining ingredients. Immediately drizzle over the cooled cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment