Friday, October 23, 2009

Amen Sista!


It took awhile for Florida to grow on me. To be honest, I finally had to make a conscious decision to stop despising this sunshine state I now call home. My hating it was not going to turn palm trees into pines. Nor would it make the air less humid or transform the Gulf into the Columbia Gorge.

Everyday at sunset Kenny and I would walk the beach. Everyday he'd say, "We're lucky it's so beautiful on our last day of vacation." He'd then stop in his tracks, hold his hands out and look around in mock wonder. "Oh wait! We live here!"

At first I couldn't even work up a grimace. As a matter of fact, the consistency of his mock wonder rather grated on my nerves for a time. I may have even, regrettably, let slip a waspish retort on a few occasions. 

After awhile though I couldn't help but smile. Then I found myself waiting for him to say it each evening.

And finally I said it first. I hadn't planned on it. I was even surprised by it. But I meant it.

The forests of the northwest? I couldn't even begin to tell you how I miss them. But, I do love my sugar sand beach.

And I'm pretty fortunate to have a guy willing to daily walk the edge of silly just to lighten his wife's heart.

And she says to herself...Amen Sista!

Above is the Nienhaus family at dinner in Portland, Oregon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment