Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Wisdom of Sea Turtles


I've heard that sea turtles know instinctively not to build turtle nests where there'll be a hurricane during our hurricane season, which runs June 1st through November 30th. I've got my fingers crossed that this is not an urban legend as there are now 10 turtle nests on Fort Myers Beach.

Wouldn't you like to see a baby sea turtle as he breaks free of his shell and then makes his way to the water? To see such a thing is listed on the wildlife section of my bucket list.

Living in SW Florida has given me the opportunity to expand upon this part of my list. Also included is:

1. Kayaking to one of the several bridges near us under which hundreds of bats have made a home. At sunset you can see these bats as they fly enmasse in search of groceries.
(This was only added after the kayak guide assured me the bats do not fly about your head and that the possibility of bat guano landing upon your head or shoulders is practically nil.)

2. Seeing one of the giant pythons now becoming pesky and problematic in the Everglades. Ideally I'd like to see one swim by the air boat I'm sitting in. I doubt I'd feel compelled to wrestle him but could you imagine seeing one and not flashing back to Marlin Perkins on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?


"Jim will now wrestle the giant anaconda."

I promise, Mom. I'll stay in the boat.


1 comment:

  1. I too am praying for a hurricane free season!

    ReplyDelete