Friday, July 10, 2009

Gone with the Wind

Well, it is an urban myth. According to the people at TurtleTime.com, who were kind enough to return my call, sea turtles will build a nest anywhere. I can't tell you how devastated I am to lose my false sense of security.

I should have known that an animal who would head for the light even when it's in the opposite direction of the water wouldn't have the wherewithal to predict the mind of Mother Nature.


But a party always makes me feel better so I'm now considering a Gone with the Wind Party on November 30th
(again, the official end of the hurricane season).

Picture Scarlet O'Hara sitting upon sandbags and eating bar-b-q. The air is fragrant with magnolia blossoms sitting in plastic gallon water jugs.


I can almost hear Scarlet saying, "Fiddle-de-de! The sea turtles
must come back!"

Of course we'd have to serve the infamous Sharon Love's very special mint julieps:


In a small rocks glass place
1 teaspoon sugar, 2 cherries with a bit of juice, and 3 small springs of mint. Muddle before filling the glass with ice and 2 ounces of Jim Beam. (If you're more Melanie Wilks than Scarlet O'Hara you might also add a bare splash of
simple syrup or 7-Up) Stir well.

Be forewarned. You must take care with the above recipe or you might indeed find yourself...gone with the wind.

And without your shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment