Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Egg Salad Willies




I've always been standoffish about eggs. I dreaded scrambled egg mornings as a child and it has only been as an adult that omelets hold the least appeal. I profess to love deviled eggs, but the truth is it's only the yolks I like and they must have lots curry and lean towards the salty side.

You can well imagine then my stance on egg salad, which aside from giving me a slight case of the willies, must truly be among the most unimaginative offerings to be found at the tea table. The slight uppity-ness I've come to accept as my companion through middle age always finds me thinking, "She could think of
nothing else to serve?"

Thank goodness for friends! Paulette McDaniel of the Ideal Tea Leaf promised me an egg salad with a secret ingredient that would change my attitude. Heinz Salad Creme! Delicious stuff. A huge crack suddenly appeared in my egg salad view.

Then to my utter astonishment, another friend, Barb Toth, served a version that not only forever freed me of the egg salad willies but caused me to rethink my whole stance on the possibilities of the egg at teatime.

Here it is:

Finely chop 2 hard cooked eggs and blend with 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence. Spread on buttered bread with crusts removed. Top with alfalfa sprouts and a second slice of buttered bread. Cut into triangles or slices.

Imagine this with Heinz Salad Creme! Which, by the way, is easily found at World Market and Brit grocery shops.

If only all of life's problems were as easy to solve as the egg salad willies!




No comments:

Post a Comment