Thursday, February 18, 2010

Marjory's Inspiration

For the last two afternoons I've been deep in chocolate mousse and The Voice of the River, an autobiography of Marjory Stoneman Douglas.

The reason for this is that I'm doing my vintage fashion show, The Stories My Clothing Can Tell, next Tuesday in Everglades City for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Festival. It was suggested I might try tossing in some information about her during the program. The chocolate mousse was just a whim.

Well as far as I can tell, MSD would likely have cared less about attending a fashion show. I might have been able to hold her attention with the historical elements the show possesses but for the most part, I think this woman saw fashion, vintage or otherwise, as a monumental waste of her time.

But I'm thrilled to have truly discovered her. She's likely best known for her efforts to save the Everglades - which she didn't become involved with until her 90's! Now this is my kind of gal!

It gives me hope that, also as a writing woman with a fondness for elocution, I'll have time to make happen all the ideas mentioned in my last post - as well as the others I didn't mention for fear you'd think me manic. MSD lived til she was 108!

I also hope that after I'm gone someone will say of me, "Death was the only thing that could shut her up, but the silence she's left behind? It's deafening."

Bugger and Blast! There's no more mousse.

No comments:

Post a Comment