Thursday, February 25, 2010

Living on the Edge

I was up before the hens this past Tuesday morning, racking my brain how best to find a place for Marjory Stoneman Douglas in my fashion program. Keep in mind the talk was to begin at one! 

A fashion show just wouldn't have held the least appeal to this woman. I was at a complete loss.

And then, just as I watched the second teaspoon of sugar slip into my tea, it came to me. I should simply pretend she had just entered the room and that I was surprised to see her. That way, I could then throw out lines every once in awhile based on what was going on in the room or upon what I thought she might have thought about what was going on. I asked for a chair so she could be seated to my left.

Essentially, I made MSD my imaginary friend.

"Oh my Goodness! Is it really Marjory Stoneman Douglas! I'm so thrilled you're here..."

Wonk, Wonk, Wonk.

Oh no, I've only just begun...

Wonk, Wonk, Wonk. 

"What am I speaking on? Vintage fashion...it's a fashion show actually." 

Wonk, Wonk, Wonk.

Well...no...Marjory. I...I don't think this will be a monumental waste of your time." 

And it worked! And it was fun for everyone - including me!

But a thought crossed my mind right before my model and 1880's polonaise entered the room. How different might it all play out if I should attempt to bring my imaginary friend with me upon leaving the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Festival and returning home. 

I think it's safe to assume all laughter would come to an abrupt halt, only to be replaced by quiet looks of horror, suspicion and possibly even pity. 

The poor thing, she just snapped!

I tell you, venue is everything! 

BTW, that second teaspoon of sugar? It tends to accomplish much.  Maybe sugar isn't all bad?  

I know, hope springs eternal...

The picture above is my 1880's style polonaise. It was the first reproduction gown I ever made and it's still my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment