Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Texas Women Save the Day

Am full of doubts and angst and worries and woes
I may as well wear my wrinkled clothes
And paint myself     
         the color of my sheets

 



Oh my goodness, now isn't that pitiful. What tea does one serve at a pity party anyway? Ahh...of course....

Something old and bitter
 A terrible brew
  Too hot to drink 
                       That's all you're due. 

I'm trying to stop but these foolish lines keep popping into my head! Oh my gosh, what if they never stop!? 

I'm so rarely in a funk but once there it's somewhat of a dark place where I fumble about with even darker thoughts.

Thank goodness my friend, BK of Houston, felt it from afar and called me on it. Her email did me a world of good and likely makes it impossible for me to continue with this tossing out of foolish lines....oh, wait....

I thought another was on its way, but you're safe.

Anyway, I had told BK of Houston I was going to make a batch of biscuits, eat them with mountains of butter and honey and then go to bed. But to save mental health and unneeded poundage, I decided instead to put on my big girl panties and try Miss Suzanne's Seafood Calado. Yes, that would indeed be Miss Suzanne of Corpus Christi. 

This of course requires I get out of my pajamas and join the world. It's a good idea. My clothes aren't really so wrinkled once I take a good look at them. 

Now about this seafood calado...you know you've got fooditude with another woman when all she gives you is a list of ingredients and you don't think twice about it. Here's my grocery list and the slight bit of direction as Miss Suzanne gave it to me. 

Suzanne's Seafood Calado
2 pounds medium shrimp
1/2 pound of scallops
1 pound of tilipia
low sodium chicken broth
chicken paste
orange or yellow bell pepper
1 can chunk pineapple
celery and onion
cilantro
fresh lime
fresh avocado
cumin 
chili powder
thyme
pepper

Peel shrimp. Put shells in a pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil for five minutes and let set for 25 minutes. Remove shells and add 2 teaspoons chicken paste. Add 2-3 cups broth and potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. While potatoes cook, saute onion, celery, and orange bell pepper for five minutes. Add to pot once potatoes are finished. Add seafood, pineapple, and spices. Simmer until fish is cooked. Serve with bowls of cilantro, lime and fresh avocado on the table.

I'm off to the grocers. Sometimes you just need Texas women to help save the day.

I might still need the biscuits though - you know, just to complement the soup.

Silly, silly girl you are
Quit moping about
For you've come too far,
Get dressed and get going
Get out of the house
Try singing and smiling,
Try not to be sad,
Eat some soup and a biscuit
And just TRY being glad
.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment