Friday, January 8, 2010

See Laurie Pedal

Despite the scoffing of St. Louis family and friends, it IS cold here in SW Florida. It was 62 degrees IN MY HOUSE yesterday! I feared we might not make it through the night.

Despite hypothermia's slow approach, I bundled up with a scarf, gloves and hat and went for a 9-mile bicycle ride this afternoon on my beach bike - the one with only three speeds, big tires, and wide handle bars designed for slouchy comfort riding.

How marvelous it was! I'm looking to make a long bike ride an anticipated part of each week. Yoga has long served me well but as I careen through my early 50's, the time has come to step up the motion in order to keep all engines running smoothly.

As opposed to sadly clicking along. Oh no, I could never let go of yoga, but something more aerobic and with larger movement feels to also be in order. 

I was aiming high with a 9-mile ride that included bicycling over the bridge at the north end of our island. Yes, that would indeed be the high, steep bridge. I made it, too - both ways. 

But I thought it was going to do me in and it took all the discipline I could muster to keeping pedaling over that bridge. I kept at it though which is somewhat of a marvel considering that when running, I just stop once I tire. I'm actually incapable of continuing to put one foot in front of the other. But apparently I can continue to pedal even when my lungs are about to explode.

So anyway, I was feeling pretty good about this but on my way back, three serious bikers - hunkered down on their sleek 20-speed bikes, with their bicycling outfits and matching helmets, passed me at the speed of light. Show offs! 

They probably rode more than nine measly miles though, didn't they? But did they go over that darn bridge? That's the question I'd like answered.

Not enough to follow them, mind you... 

And no, I can't do exercise classes. No matter how badly I think I want to, the moment I pull into the parking lot the merest sliver of a reason causes me to drive away. It's too sunny, my water bottle's only half full, I brought the wrong socks, I didn't bring a snack for the ride home, I need gas...you get the picture. 

BTW, Doc Ford's is one of our newest bayside restaurants. It's a rambling sort of place with live music and awesome food. I'd  suggest the shrimp flatbread followed by their rum infused carrot cake. You can visit them at www.docfords.com.

3 comments:

  1. Hello there & Glad Tidings to You & Yours from snowy Ireland. Ireland has come to a halt.Yep it's a whiteout over here at the moment & everybody has gone into hedgehog mode..I play a little in the ghostly snow...freeze ...go inside..forage...eat...chomp...sleep and so on . I realise it's a cycle (yep I do cycle!haha)that HAS to stop soon. It's not as though I can go ON like this...there's work to be done!
    I'll stop waffling on now
    I enjoyed this post very much. And remember, if one pedals to fast one will miss the view!
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only now just seen this! I've returned to writing this blog so please visit again!

      Delete
  2. I love hedgehog mode! And, indeed, it never lasts - which I guess is the beauty of it. Thanks for stopping by and please visit again.

    ReplyDelete