Monday, January 25, 2010

Doors Close, Doors Open



What's buzzin cousin? Have you been good?

Me? What have I been up to? I've been alternately sloshing about in both awe and angst, which of course, is somewhat time consuming. It also tires a dilly mightily and so I've needed a lie-down here and there during this last two weeks.

Deciding to stop producing Sweet Willa's Review was knotty. This door, once closed, is the last piece of The Ladies' Tea Guild in my life. It's the end of an era. The sands of time have shifted, the universe has tilted yet again and the world is painted in shades of bittersweet.

Give me a just moment while I gently dab at the silent tears rolling down my cheek...alrighty, that passed. It's time to leave off with this Gothic heroine malarkey! I've got work to do.

Literally within days of closing this door a number of doors opened. But the most exciting leads me back to my plays, which I had put on the back burner due to the economy.

But, it now looks as if both Tea-A-Ria and A Teatime Travesty are to be performed in Naples this summer at Fred's Diner, which by the way, is a far cry from being a diner.

And it looks as if I'll be directing! OMG! We've already formed The Paradise Players.

So back to what I've been doing exactly this past week. I've been completely immersing myself in the 1940's, the era in which Tea-A-Ria - likely to begin after Mother's Day - is set.

I can now toss out 40's slang with ease - Hi sugar, are you rationed? (Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?) I once again have a slinky in my possession (invented in the 40's), and, if needed, I can create a Victory Roll hairstyle and line my lips in maroon lip liner before the kettle comes to a boil.

For your reading pleasure, here are the opening lines from Tea-A-Ria:

LEONIE
 
Good afternoon ladies. I am Leonie Palazzotto and I want to welcome you to Tea-A Ria, a tearoom where you can relax, enjoy a fine cup of tea, and a bit of old world ambiance.
 

NONA LENA calls out LEONIE’S name off stage before
entering left. She is brandishing a large kitchen knife.

NONA LENA
 
Leonie Palazzotto! I’ma not a cuttin the crusts offa the bread! Whoever hearda such a thing! It don’ta maka no sense!


LEONIE smiles at her guests before walking to NONA LENA. She begins indulgently but quickly falls into her Italian accent, talking louder and waving her hands for emphasis.

LEONIE
 
Excuse me, ladies. Nona Lena, we’ve already discussed this. You-cut-the-crusts-off-the-bread-at-teatime! It’s just the way it’s done!

NONA LENA
 
First everything has to be “bite sized”! Now this! I don’ta see how you’re gonna fill these people up!

LEONIE
(speaks indulgently as she gently nudges
NONA LENA towards the kitchen)
 
Nona Lena, please.  Just cut the crusts off the bread.

NONA LENA
 
(to a guest)  

  Does this maka any sense to you. It’s pazzo!

 NONA LENA exits left.

LEONIE
 
Pardon me, ladies. Italian don’t quite understand teatime. My Nona Lena wants to put garlic in everything. I tell her, over and over, you can’t have that much garlic at teatime!  And oh...

 
(puts her hands to her head) 
  
...the battle we had over the vincisgrassi! I say, “Nona Lena, nobody eats cinnamon scented chicken gizzards at teatime. It don’t matter if it’s in béchamel sauce!"

(smiles and shakes her head)
  
 That woman! But what are you are going to do when your Nona Lena loves you so much and only wants to help? 

(sighs) 

 Now where was I…ah, yes, tea! Today we are serving a marvelous _________. We’ll be bringing out the pots in just a moment. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be sure they're warming...
xxx

Keep your fingers crossed my friends and pray Tea-A-Ria's tag line is true...Teatime goes Italian and it might never be the same! 

It's quite amazing what the universe throws at you if you keep your head up rather than trying to duck, don't you think?

If you'd like to check out Fred's Diner, click on this link:

No comments:

Post a Comment