Monday, May 27, 2013

See How My Garden Grows

Image compliments of Free Spirit Fabric

 How I wish you could have seen my Portland, Oregon garden. By the time I waved it a teary farewell, it owned "cottage". Wild and lush, you could slip into it anytime but during winter's dripping slumber and it'd forever toss you bouquets.

I've valiantly attempted to reinvent myself as a subtropical, Zone-10 salt-tolerant girl, but the results are less than spectacular. I now appear deeply rooted mostly in the concept of a garden.

Oddly, at this same moment I've attained "Expert Status" with my Through the Garden Gate articles at EzineArticles.com.

Am I a poser?

"Wonk, wonk, wonk..."

You're right! My writing projects are my garden.

I've asparagus, aka Escaping Neverland, which takes two years (or more) to mature...

WENDY DARLING
(sighing heavily as she speaks into a cell phone)
How many times do I have to tell you? You're not lost! Just turn the car around.
(pause)
Yes, it's really that simple. Look, I've got to go. 

(hangs up) 
How do they keep getting my number?

I've radishes, aka The Monaco Don, which are famous for quickly approaching harvest...

JAKE
...Could I interest you in a glass of Cold Duck?


KELSEY
Cold Duck! Jake, that's so expensive! What's the occasion...Oh Good Lord, you did it, didn't you!?
(gleefully spins in a circle)
I can't believe it! I mean, I can believe it because I knew you could do it but...oh my gosh...Monaco!


I've the quickly multiplying but fleeting crocus, aka I Can Fix It. Fleeting isn't enough for some crocus, by the way. Certain of them refuse to truly step within your reach...

The edges are frayed,
Here's a tear,
It's unraveling there.


But I can fix it,
Mend it,
Let my needle fly through it. 


The light is gone,
Only shadows
And shattered fabric remain.


But I can fix it,
Mend it,
Let my needle fly through it. 


Put it down,
It is done,
Walk away.


?
?
?
 


I've an ever-blooming rose waiting to be fertilized, aka A Shark's Tale...

I knew something bad was going to happen because I saw a shark in the leaves...the tea leaves. Although, I purchased Your Fortune In a Cup only a week ago so I couldn't yet call myself an oracle of the cup. I could be seeing a zebra for all I knew. I would have preferred that because I'd then be destined to begin a long journey by water...

Garden tours are a lovely diversion, don't you think? Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to find my garden gloves. I mean, my notebook.


Care to peruse my Through the Garden Gate Series? If so, click on the links below:

1. Through the Garden Gate with Vita Sackville West 

2. Through the Garden Gate with a Victorian Exotic 

3. Through the Garden Gate with the Ambassador of Love

4. Through the Garden Gate with Sunflowers

5. Through the Garden Gate with the Queen of Annuals

No comments:

Post a Comment