Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Not the French Resistance But...

A water color on paper by
Adolf Friedrich Erdmann von Menzel (1815-1905)


I'm not yet on board with reading devices. I've played with them and I appreciate the marvelous factor. Truly.

But here's the moment I keep returning to: 

It's 2005 and I'm sitting heaven side (seat #21) in the library of the St. Louis Historical Society. I've been here for hours already, am thinking the day has brought all it can and am wondering the odds of finding a second Mounds Bar in my purse.

The librarian who's been bringing my requests all afternoon steps to the table and whispers quietly, "Judging by what you've been asking for, I thought you might like to see this." 

She sets down this small and quite worn black book that's maybe 4x5 inches. Her hand rests on it a moment before she smiles and walks away.

I realize something special has been set before me but I can barely read the faded handwriting in this book. It takes another moment for me to realize I'm holding the diary of a Civil War era southern woman. She had written her thoughts as Sherman's troups camped on the grounds of her plantation. Her husband was elsewhere in the war.

It was a moment my friends. A moment where thoughts of Mounds Bars fade. A moment impossible with even the most marvelous of reading devices.

Perhaps that's the rub. As one who smells books, who caresses pages, who believes objects - especially books - possess their own energy, then maybe it's the sterility of iPads and Nooks etc. that I'm resisting.

They're the way of the world, I know. But I wonder your thoughts. Am I alone in this resistance? 

Neither here nor there, but I would have been part of the French Resistance.

One more confession...I haven't a smart phone either.

No comments:

Post a Comment